Friday, December 16, 2011

The Descendants (2011) Review


It's been about 2 weeks that I've seen "The Descendants" (I know, I know, had to take some time off to study and everything) but there is one feeling that stuck with me, and let me tell you, it might be a surprise but I was slightly underwhelmed.

Friends told me beforehand how much they liked the film, how great and emotional it was and, judging from rave critics, a very high Rotten Tomatoes score and now the load of Golden Globe nominations, it should be an outstanding film. It might just have happened that all the hype around "The Descendants" couldn't possibly live up to the actual movie.

First of all, let me get one thing straight: I love Alexander Payne directed movies. I can watch "About Schmidt" any time and this masterpiece never gets old. Although I was never as big a fan of "Sideways" as many others I still think it's one of the best dramas of the last 10 years. "Election", in my opinion, might just be the best High School movie ever made and it's a shame that barely anyone knows about it. So what about "The Descendants" then?

The film stars George Clooney as a land baron on Hawaii whose wife falls into a coma after a boating accident. On top of that he has to deal with his two estranged daughters and the one deal that could save his retirement. Finding out that his wife had an affair just adds up to the whole conflict.

This might sound like it is gonna end up being a pathetic tearjerker but, interestingly enough, the movie mixes the emotionally heavy scenes with a light-hearted touch that gives it an almost bittersweet feel. Clooney in the lead gives a very understated and controlled performance which at times comes in handy but sometimes feels like a lack of emotion. He is the sole focus of the film so it is rather distracting to see him at times not act naturally at all.

This might be a minor flaw for others but it took me right out of the movie, especially since the stage is set to create something moving and I know that Alexander Payne can pull it off but it didn't have the grip it should have had in my opinion.

The rest of the film is just about as perfect as it could get. The cinematography is gorgeous, the writing realistic but heartfelt, the soundtrack more than fitting for the Hawaii setting and the supporting actors all do a great job. I was especially happy to see movie stars of yesteryear such as Beau Bridges, Matthew Lillard and particularly Robert Forster excel in their roles.

It might just be that I have to watch it again to really appreciate it and see what a dummy I've been for missing how great of a movie it is but for the time being it was a good if not great experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment