Friday, July 6, 2012

Rumble In The Bronx (1995) Review


Fact 1: I love Jackie Chan. Fact 2: You love Jackie Chan. Do I really have to say more? This guy knows how to kick some serious ass and it's sweet to watch him go nuts with whatever he can find to fight some bad guys. I didn't really watch his older movies from the 80s until my late teens but I grew up on the stuff he released when he became famous in the US during the 90s. One of those movies was "Rumble In The Bronx" and I frikkin love that flick.


Don't get me wrong, there are far superior action movies out there and definitely far superior Jackie Chan films but "Rumble in the Bronx" has this special place in my heart as the first real Jackie Chan film I've consciously seen. Of course, I've watched other films with him in it before (I fondly remember "The Cannonball Run"...) but "Rumble in the Bronx" was the first one where it really clicked for me, Jackie's unique mixture of awe-inspiring stunt work, adrenaline pumping fights and embarrassingly cheesy characters and dialogues is like the best sugar high you can have when you're 10 years old. You wanna see a film with a plot and believable characters? Screw that, if you want to see something that actually makes sense, go watch a Bergman film.

I couldn't piece together the story of "Rumble in the Bronx" if my life depended on it, it has something to do with him visiting his uncle in New York, then he's suddenly working in a Supermarket, gets entangled with cartoonish streetgangs, then there's also some kid in a wheelchair and suddenly there's diamonds involved and drugs and some weird mafia crimelord. Honestly, did they play a terrible round of Mad Lips to come up with that?

But who cares, as long as you can see Jackie being chased by a hovercraft, hopping of parking garages and beating up the baddies, what else could you ask for? Call it a guilty pleasure but "Rumble in the Bronx" is just mad fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment