Saturday, July 30, 2011

On The Waterfront (1954) Review

 

How can I call myself a movie lover if I've never seen an Elia Kazan movie? Shame on me. To the younger audiences who consider movies from the 90s to be old, Elia Kazan was one of the most acclaimed directors of all time, creating mostly outstanding motion pictures during the 50s and making actors shine in their roles.
As I said before today I've seen my very first Elia Kazan flick, On The Waterfront starring Marlon Brando and I must say, I was not let down, this film was amazing.

Marlon Brando plays an ex-boxer who tries to get by as a longshoreman while being mixed up as a thug in some criminal activities. Through the love of a girl and a smoking and drinking priest he discovers his conscience and tries to stand up against his corrupt union bosses.

The movie starts out rather bumpy but once you get a glimpse of the top notch acting by Brando, Karl Malden (who plays the priest) and Eva Marie Saint, you'll be drawn in completely. And if that doesn't help you then the classical Leonard Bernstein score will put you into the right mood.

Nowadays the old classics don't get as much as attention as they deserve so if you have the choice of watching an acclaimed film that might be a bit older than your usual flick instead of the newest Harry Potter, comic book movie or Michael Bay idiocy then give the old one a choice, you won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment