Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The Escapist (2008) Review


What a neat little film. Flawed but neat. "The Escapist" is the feature length debut of Rupert Wyatt and the fact that he directly went on to direct "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" after this gig should tell you something about its quality.


I'm a bit behind with the rest of my entries but since this is my blog and the whole wide world of the Internet probably doesn't give a damn about it I keep this entry short since it is quite some time ago that I've seen the film so if you end up reading this then please excuse any mistakes I make.

"The Escapist" stars Brian Cox, one of the most recognizable character actors of our time. You  probably have never heard about him but when you see his face you will probably hit your forehead and be like "Right,  I've seen this guy in "X-Men 2", "Super Troopers", "The Bourne Identity", "Troy", etc, blablabla.", you get the idea. He plays an old fellow in prison (I don't remember why) who together with a group of other inmates plans a prison break. Pretty obvious from the title, eh?

The film mostly lives off of its performances, Cox is great and so is Dominic Cooper in a minor role. The plot had some nice twists to it but ultimately what stuck with me was some of the characters, the rest is bloody forgettable. It's nothing life-changing but should be worth your time if you're into this type of film.

No comments:

Post a Comment